In this age of emphasis on science, technology, engineering, and math it should come as no surprise that patent lawyers and intellectual property practices are especially busy. From the youngest of inventors to large scientific laboratories, patent lawyers help people protect their unique products. In fact, a key part of any real invention process is making sure that there are steps in place to make sure that the new product ideas are protected.
In addition to finding knowledgable patent lawyers, it is also important to make sure that you have these legal resources close to where you live. Whether you are looking for patent lawyers in Houston or in Denver, it is important to make sure that the legal advice that you need is near so that you can get the answers that you want as soon as possible.
The United States Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO) office is the governing body for the country. By their definition, there are three distinct kinds of patents: design patents, plant patents, and utility patents. And not surprising, it is important to make sure that to get these patents completed that you follow the necessary steps. The first U.S. patent law was enacted back in the year 1790, and it has been an important agency ever since.
Consider some of these facts and figures about patents and trademarks and some of the rules that govern these application processes:
- Patents for designs expire 14 years from the date of issue.
- Digital communication and computer technology claimed the first and second place in the list of technologies with the most international patent applications in the year 2016.
- There were 4,537 patent infringement suits filed in 2016, according to legal analytics firm Lex Machina.
- With the payment of maintenance fees, utility and plant patents issued after June 8, 1995 expire 20 years from the date of application.
- Patents, trademarks, copyrights, and trade secrets are the four ways to protect intellectual property.
Patent protection is an important part of many businesses. Finding the right attorneys to help you file the necessary paperwork is an important part of making sure that you protect the products that your company develops.